27 Feb 2023

New 8m T&I licence obtained

Even though I wish the RSGB and OFCOM would see sense and grant real experimenters an NoV for 8m, I have shelled out (yet again) to continue research at 8m until April 2nd 2024.  In my view their position on this seems totally stupid in the extreme!!!   As before, I asked for digital only at QRP.

I really hope as many as possible come on the ISM band without a licence whilst ensuring they are fully compliant with any national requirements. As I said yesterday, it is my view that anyone in the UK can run 10mW ERP WSPR beacons in the 40.66-40.70 ISM band without a licence and with whatever callsign you like!!

Strictly  speaking, you do not need to give your location, even with the T&I licence either! Personally I think this is bizarre.

Callsigns are not a requirement of ISM use, although I think there is nothing whatsoever to stop you using your amateur radio callsign as an identifier. This is not the Amateur Radio Service. You could, of course, make up your own callsign like "your initials"123!  If using WSPR, it is advisable to make sure the format of the callsign will be reported to WSPRnet.

No comments: