7 May 2022

DSB v. SSB

Now, I am very happy to be told I am wrong, but I think DSB rigs can be received on other DSB receivers, but it is much more tricky than receiving DSB on an SSB receiver. I have no experience of this, but a comment on a post yesterday has me thinking. The comment was made by Ken G4APB. Thanks Ken.

Clearly a simple SSB 10m transceiver (if very low cost, simple and easily copied) would be much preferable to a DSB transceiver, but I am unsure of the relative costs.

If you have experience, please let me know. 

Clearly, if 2 DSB transceivers can not (easily) communicate, maybe a simple 10m DSB transceiver is not as ideal as a club project, even though most QSOs would be with SSB stations.

I wonder how inexpensive a 10m SSB transceiver can be made as a simple kit?

2 comments:

g4apb said...

Hi Roger, I just thought, if your DSB transceiver design was taken up as a club buildathon, as people tried to communicate with each other on these rigs, what actually is the difficulty receiving that you mention?

73 Ken g4apb

Roger G3XBM said...

Hi Ken, My simple answer is I do not know! On reflection some years on, I think an SSB phasing transmitter might be better coupled with a direct conversion receiver. Someone cleverer than me might be able to make a low cost phasing direct conversion receiver to help reduce pickup on the LSB frequency. As you can see, I have never coupled a DSB transmitter with a DSB receiver. I thinks the problem comes with netting very accurately, but I do not know.