1 Oct 2021

8m NoV application

Early next week I propose to send the final version of my application online to OFCOM. If you have any views on how it could be improved, please tell me over the weekend. The latest draft can be viewed via my website at https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/vhfuhfmicrowaves/8m-band .  I hope this will be successful and that next Es season we can see more countries active on 8m.   

FT8 looks the best mode as there are plenty of potential monitors, FT8 works with weak signals (although Es is often strong) and it is already supported by PSKreporter. All one has to do is park your RX on the right 8m frequency and wait. With luck, we can all be on FT8 within the same small chunk of the band so just a single FT8 frequency can be monitored.

UPDATE 0904z:  My widebanded FT817ND does TX on 8m. Just tried it with a dummy load. At first I tuned up from 10m, but it went to 100kHz after I reached 33MHz. Then I tuned down from 6m and all was well.

UPDATE 1645z:  NoVs can be applied for online.  As is to be expected, OFCOM is very keen to see that the general public, including neighbours, are safe. They require a sketch of the proposed antenna location and an EMF assessment. Running 10W or less to a dipole with a duty cycle on a 50% , I cannot imagine this being an issue. See https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/51198/ofw306.pdf for their form.

1 comment:

M0NYW said...

Hi Roger,

I would say the next cheapest option could be these???
https://transverters-store.com/8m.htm

80USD Includes free delivery at the moment.

Jason
M0NYW