14 Apr 2020

DST100 receiver

Way back in the early 1960s, my very first communications receiver was a war surplus DST100 bought for £7 from a local garage. It was huge and very heavy! It was also very deaf, but Roger Thorn G3CHN managed to breath new life in it and it lasted me for many years.  He probably put in new valves.

It needed 2 people to lift it and was a tank radio made by Murphy. It was certainly built like a tank and could probably have survived a direct hit!

To think now we can get an SDR in a USB stick with better performance and a much wider frequency range.

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/hf/dst100

1 comment:

Ken May said...

Hi Roger, my first 'real' rig was a no.22 tank radio given to me by a local amatuer. I covered a bit of topband, 80 and 40m and I had great fun with it. One day I could not resist the urge to press the PTT, I lived an old victorian house with equally old wiring, and all the lights in the house went out. Seems I managed to blow the only fuses we had in a ancient fuse box!!!!
My dad was not too pleased!!

73 Ken G4APB