29 Oct 2019

472kHz WSPR TX

Just now I tested the 472kHz WSPR TX. It works, so I should be on TX (10mW ERP) this evening and overnight. It is a pity that I cannot listen between the TX transmissions currently, but at least I can TX and RX WSPR on 472kHz.

Amazingly, a couple of locals received my transmissions just now.

UPDATE 1421z: Now 2E0ILY (209km) copying me too.

UPDATE 2019z: Darn Windows 10 updates! As usual, I am on 472kHz WSPR TX and monitoring on a different PC in the lounge. I was wondering why no-one had spotted me in 3 hours. Closer inspection showed the shack PC had turned off all programs waiting to install a Windows 10 update it cannot do without an external hard drive attached (internal hard drive is too small). Darn Microsoft!! Once I close this message, resynced time and restarted WSJT-X, all is well and reports are flooding in again. I am seriously fed-up with Microsoft. If I try to open a spreadsheet it tries to get me to use Excel, which of course you pay for. Instead I prefer to use free Open Office. How do you close the Excel message? With great difficulty as there is no "X" to close it! Darn Microsoft again. As I said before, I am seriously considering a Chromebook for the next PC for the lounge. These now run Linux, if you want to, as well as giving access to the Google Play Store and loads of Android apps.

UPDATE 2037z: Already spotted by 9 stations this evening on 472kHz WSPR running 10mW ERP with best spot being by LA8AV (1035km) up in Norway. MX0NCA (100km) is a new spotter.

UPDATE 2130z: I shall stay on 472kHz WSPR TX overnight, assuming Microsoft allows me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Find the file you wish to open in the directory

Right click on it

Select 'Open with'

Choose Open office from the list (you may have to select other apps or browse to find it)

Select Open Office

Select 'always use this app to open'

That file type should then always be associated with the application you selected

Anonymous said...


You can customize the Windows Update settings using Group Policy to limit the availability of updates on your device.

Open Start

Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch

Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side

Check the Enable option to turn on the policy

In the "Options" section, you'll find various ways to configure automatic updates

2 - Notify for download and auto install.
3 - Auto download and notify for install.
4 - Auto download and schedule the install.
5 - Allow local admin to choose setting.

The closest option to disable automatic updates is number 2

Click the Apply button

Click the OK button

Updates will then stop downloading automatically.

When a new update becomes available, you'll receive a notification to download and install updates manually from the Windows Update settings page