10 Jan 2018

QSYed to 630m WSPR RX

As I was unable to find out why I have no power on 630m (yet), I am on 630m WSPR RX only. At some point I shall turn off my PC battery charger in the hope of reducing my noise floor on that band.

UPDATE 1955z:  I have been on PC battery power for some while now (about 40 minutes) and already 7 unique stations spotted. The RX noise floor must be lower as more stations are being copied. Still using the coax to my 2m antenna as the antenna on RX via a ferrite rod ATU on the bench (see picture).

UPDATE 2010z: PC charger back on, so that I can run the PC on battery power overnight. So S/N of received signals should degrade whist the charger is on if this noise is limiting what I can spot.

UPDATE 2125z: Still using the PC on mains with the battery charger. On battery power (on the PC) spots of LA8AV are between -12 and -19dB S/N. With the PC on mains power with the charger running it is about 10dB worse, although with QSB it is hard to be precise.

UPDATE 2135z: Just started the PC on its battery power again. If the noise floor has dropped again LA8AV S/N should improve again.  Indeed his S/N is about 10dB better!

UPDATE 2206z: PC back on mains and PC battery is charging. In about an hour I shall be switching the PC to its battery power. This should last for several hours. Battery is currently 94% charged. Well I am on mains power and the PC battery is charging. LA8AV is still in the teens S/N. Ah, there goes another theory then.....

No comments: