24 Jan 2018

630m WSPR RX tonight

About 15 months ago (although it may be longer!) an anonymous friend just sent me a 472kHz preamp. This was very kind and I never did find out who sent this. To whoever the kind mystery person was, thank you again. This was a kind act and it was generous hearted of you.

Tonight I have returned to 472kHz WSPR using this pre-amp with the earth-electrode "antenna" in the ground. Sensitivity should be fine, so it is a good test of this "antenna" on this band.

The shack PC is on battery power so the noise floor should be pretty low.

UPDATE 2135z: Since just before 2100z the shack PC has been on mains power with its internal battery on charge. So, until I go back to battery power, the noise floor will be poorer. Before bedtime I shall return to battery power to give me best chances overnight.

UPDATE 2200z: Back with shack PC on battery power, so this should last most of the overnight period woth a low noise floor. Looking at G3KEV and G0MRF the noise from the SMPSU for the shack PC made a huge difference (much worse) to my S/N reports. Now noise floor much lower again.

No comments: