21 Jul 2015

Quitest day yet?

It is now 1540z and on 10m I have only been spotted by local G4IKZ (18km) all day and not a single station on WSPR by Es or F2. 6m has been equally dire with just Gs by tropo and maybe off aircraft. Around teatime there is often a small Es peak so I am not giving up just yet!

Conditions are a little disturbed, but I am amazed how little Es there is here (none!) on both 10m and 6m WSPR. Maybe later or tomorrow things will be better?

Come September we will start to see autumnal conditions returning on 10m. Last autumn, winter and spring there were stateside spots of my 500mW 10m WSPR on most days. I was spotted in every continent, including Antarctica and Australasia on 10m WSPR.  It will be interesting to compare this year with last, as sunspot numbers will, on average, be way down. Soon be time to improve the LF/MF antennas too.

Just wondering if I should move to JT65 and JT9 for the F2 DX season? I like WSPR as it fits my operating style (and poor health) and I can monitor it remotely in the lounge.  JT modes are really 2-way and need more active intervention on my part. Maybe this will be good for me? Maybe JT65 and JT9-1 will ease me back into 2-way QSOs?

UPDATE 1908z:   I notice that G4IKZ (18km) has had a bad day on 10m too. Apart from an ON (tropo?) around breakfast there were only G spots in his log according to WSPRnet.

UPDATE 1942z:  I see that G4IKZ has spotted PY and CX on 10m WSPR just now. There is obviously some F2 propagation.  I guess Nick's Moxon beam is helping! He is probably able to copy signals at least 10dB weaker than me, although I am 100% TX currently on 10m WSPR.

No comments: