31 Jan 2012

Optical "tree bounce" tests

Spectran screenshot of 481THz "treebounce" test 30.1.12
Last night I made my first recordings of my optical beacon in action. In one room of the house the 100mm optics beacon was set running QRSS3 and aiming at a tree 150m away across a field. This was a deciduous tree with just bare branches. In another room of the house, optically well isolated from the TX, I set up the 100mm optics KE7OEI head feeding an earpiece and my PC running Spectran. The signal scattering off the tree (total path length 0.3km) was 30dB over noise in a 2.7Hz bandwidth. This suggests (I think) that other non line-of-sight paths with a total distance of up to 1km might be possible by reflection off trees, buildings etc. I have still to try a true line-of-sight path at any distance with my current system but it will certainly be good for many kilometres.

Yesterday my 1W ultra-bright LEDs arrived from Hong Kong. When fitted to the beacon these will be VERY bright and will extend the range possible on 481THz yet further. All good fun!

No comments: