17 Aug 2026

8m amateur radio allocation

Some PTTs have allocated radio amateurs access to 8m. Almost all, probably all, operation is purely experimental. In the UK we have to pay £50 every year to do 8m experiments!

The RSGB seems positively anti, which I find really sad. They could very easily provide (via OFCOM) radio amateurs access to 40.680 - 40.685MHz, low power, narrow digital only, by NoV, strictly no interference.

Instead we have hit a brick wall with what appears an obstructive RSGB attitude, with no support whatsoever.

Ideally I would like to see a tiny 5kHz CEPT wide allocation, with a strict no-interference clause. This would allow real experimentation.

I am sure that OFCOM would be happy as they have allocated quite a few 8m I&T permits, some at far higher power and with far greater band coverage, all modes, with absolutely no means of tracing

The RSGB appears to be the block, sadly. You would think we are asking for the impossible when they have already made available (via OFCOM) 2MHz of VHF spectrum for DTV and similar!

Come on RSGB!!! Provide some support please. 

No comments: