18 Dec 2023

Reflections on 2023 and plans for 2024

Looking back on 2023, the stand-out things are my 8m QSOs with 2.5W and a dipole with stations in the Caribbean and my 0.5mW WSPR tests on 10m.  At the moment, I have no firm plans for next year.  What is clear is that I prefer WSPR and FT8. There are several reasons.

1. My voice is poor and it is a strain to talk.

2. DXCC was worked back in the 1980s with QRP SSB on 10m. DXCC is no longer a priority.

3. I prefer experimenting to just talking with stations.

4. One-way signals (looking on the internet to see when I am being received) are as important for me than two-way QSOs.

Everyone is different and I can totally understand that working DXCC and new countries is important to some. It is just that, for me, it is no longer important. When I was fitter going out in the wilds on 481THz or VLF was good fun. These days I try to do experiments from home.

No comments: