28 Aug 2023

Optical Experiments

One of the fallacies going around is that optical communication is just "line-of-site" and that both the TX and RX have to be able to see each other. This is just not true! 

With very low power and simple, homemade, gear I could detect my beacon on a PC way over the horizon. In Australia, the "over-the-horizon" (NLOS) distance record is way over 100km. With my own very modest gear, I can well believe this. 

My tests were done on cloudless nights, suggesting the propagation was scattering off atmospheric dust. There was no sign of the light from the TX in the sky at all.  This is definitely where everyone, licenced or not, may experiment. It would be good to find out how far we could achieve non line of site (NLOS) in the UK. Incidentally LEDs are generally considered better than lasers due to scintillation (look it up!).

My own beacon and optical gear were made in the back of the garage. If I was fit, I would be experimenting now.

My optical gear used LEDs bought off eBay. Far more powerful ones are available. I used 100mm lenses used in magnifying glasses bought at Poundland. Better equipped stations used Fresnel lenses. My tripod was hopeless. With better LEDs, lenses and tripods, ranges could be increased a great deal. Even with my system ranges could be considerably greater than the nearly 9km I managed.

See https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/optical-nanowaves/over-the-horizon.

No comments: