11 Jun 2023

8m QRPP WSPR (Sunday)

Having got decent results from Portugal on 8m FT8, I have just switched to 8m WSPR with 5mW. You never know.  Probably I shall also be on 8m 5mW WSPR tomorrow. If anyone at all spots me, I expect to be weak!  If 5mW makes it, 10mW ERP, the ISM limit in the UK without a licence will definitely make it. The main issue on 8m is there are too few RX stations widely spread. Also the 120 seconds for WSPR is quite a long time when conditions are up and down.

Remember, these are ISM research beacons and not the Amateur Radio Service. The experiment is to find out how far away ISM beacons can be spotted, not 2-way communications. This is an interesting experiment.

Even if  you do not have an 8m antenna, have a go with whatever antenna you have.

UPDATE 1940z: 2 WSPR spots by HC02 (1808km) of my 5mW 8m WSPR. Hugh was wrongly reporting this as 6m to WSPRnet. If 5mW WSPR can make it, then 3dB more without a licence can definitely make it!

No comments: