22 Mar 2023

Electric cars - NOT amateur radio

In a few years, as mentioned recently, I am expecting a "tipping point" when most use electric cars rather than cars fuelled by fossil fuels. My prediction is this will happen about 2028. 

For this to happen, range has to be considerably improved and prices have to fall dramatically. Electric cars today appeal mainly to early adopters, those who feel strongly against fossil fuels and those who only make very short journeys like shopping trips and who can charge at home.  I think the breakthrough will come with solid state batteries.

Usually on my trips to Cambridge I see about 2 electric cars. Today I saw 10!! There must be a lot of early adopters!

2 comments:

DaveL said...

Roger,
Both the irony and the fallacy of this trend is that the electricity used to charge the cars is generated by fossil fuels. Some countries have achieved a greater percentage of renewable fuels than others, (such as here in the US we are lagging behind the rest of the civilized world,) but it is naive to think that it will be 100% renewables in this century.
My two pence worth, anyway.
73,
Dave
KF7JAF

Roger G3XBM said...

Dave - charging needs to use renewables!! Otherwise, I agree with you. In my view we have to crack the storage of renewable energy. We have to move away from fossil fuels.