20 Dec 2022

8m QRP FT8 (Tuesday)

At 1454z, my 2.5W 8m FT8 was turned on. Yet again, the antenna is just the low wire dipole. It is again on 40.680 MHz USB dial.

UPDATE  1508z:  Already spotted by Phil EI9KP (649km).

UPDATE 2150z:  In the end just the spot by EI9KP.  Now QRT.

UPDATE 2155z:  I am unsure how to proceed with experiments on 8m. I am prepared to spend £50 for an extension of my T&I permit, but object to having to pay for this. In my view, this should be a tiny amateur band available in the UK by NoV.  It would be really helpful to know just why OFCOM and the FCC are quite so anti this. It is not that they are neutral. They seem to be dead against this.  Personally, I think it is the military and the Official Secrets Act (or equivalent in the USA) that is preventing us being told the full truth. People are scared of prosecution.  If we were just told, "yes the military is blocking all applications" that alone would clear up this apparently stupid situation.  This year's tests have already shown that with Es and F2, great distances may be covered with just 2.5W and a low wire dipole. There is no doubt that a higher ERP certainly improves chances.

2 comments:

David (G0LRD) said...

Hi Roger
I don't think there's any great secret about this. The UK frequency allocations state that all frequencies around 8m are subject to UK footnote 2.1, which reads "Responsibility for granting permissions to use frequencies in this Allocation rests with Defence. All frequency permissions are reserved exclusively for Defence use except where assignments for Civil use are agreed with Ofcom."
In other words, they can't offer permits without passing a request to MOD first, and I imagine the MOD will say no by default (it's the easy option and carries zero risk for them).
73 David

Roger G3XBM said...

Whilst I agree that the MOD probably has the last word, I am bitterly disappointed that nobody is able to say this in plain English! We can be forgiven to keep asking, when nobody, NOBODY, feels able to just tell us. Surely they cannot object to just 5 kHz in the ISM slot, by NoV,secondary, strictly no interference when those with a T&I permit can operate without a call, with far higher power and TOTALLY untraceable. Totally and utterly illogical.