3 Dec 2022

8m QRP FT8 (Saturday)

It is now 1120z. I have been on 8m QRP FT8 on 40.680 MHz for about 20 minutes. So far,  1 spot on TX by G4FFC (47km), On RX, no spots. On 8m FT8 I Use 2.5W and a low wire dipole.

UPDATE 1502z:  Nothing back from the RSGB about my email suggesting a 5 kHz wide 8m amateur band, narrow digital only. Am I surprised? Not really. No further stations spotting me today and I have spotted nobody.

UPDATE 1518z: In the UK my understanding is we can use equipment without a certificate of conformity or type approval at 8m as long as it meets the technical requirement and the interface requirements as detailed in IR 2030. This is because we have no intention of putting anything on the market.  This means 10mW ERP and we are responsible for compliance. From my own tests and tests by M0NYW, 10mW ERP certainly covers the local area with WSPR and might well work on FT8 over some paths, especially with proper 8m antennas at both ends. My own tests were with a low wire 8m dipole, whereas most locals receiving me were using a variety of (non 8m) antennas. In better Es openings I would expect 10mW ERP to reach Europe. This means many more UK stations could legally operate 8m WSPR beacons.

No comments: