6 Nov 2022

Lithium-Ion batteries

Since I retired in 2008, technology may have moved on. What I recall was li-ion batteries were a nightmare. 

Failures were, thankfully, rare but when they occurred they could be very bad. At a guess I would say 1 in 150000 failed. This does not sound too bad, but how many are out there in laptops and other devices? I know of at least one person who had her flat totally destroyed when she was charging a li-ion battery pack.

If abused, the batteries can catch fire and explode. For this reason I never ever leave li-ion batteries charging unattended. Assume they are potential bombs.

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-63532906 .

I am sure many incidents in the past were brushed under the carpet as product recalls could be extremely expensive.

These batteries can be misused. Treat them with the greatest respect.

No comments: