18 Nov 2022

FT817ND power levels?

You would think after owning FT817s for about 20 years I would know the answer! The Operating Manual is ambiguous, so I would appreciate a definitive answer from someone who definitely knows!

With an external 13.8V PSU and with three bars showing, what is the power on SSB? 

The implication is this is 2.5W (not 5W), but I am not 100% sure. Please clarify! To get 5W I think you have to have no bars, but I may be wrong.

If it is 2.5W (not 5W), I may have been using 2.5W pep when I thought I was using 5W!

3 comments:

Keith said...

No bars is 5 watts. Three bars is 2.5W, two bars 1W, one bar 500mW.

Regards,
Keith

PE4BAS, Bas said...

It's complicated. When on power supply no indication is full power (5W). When on battery flashing 3 bars means full power (5W).

View this video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXSGGCtYDTE

73, Bas

Keith said...

Ah yes, you’re correct, Bas. I had forgotten about the flashing bars for 5 watts when on internal battery power.