15 Sept 2022

PI4 decoding

For some reason (probably by mistake) I assumed that PI4 was one of the modes supported by WSJT-X. Imagine my surprise today when I found it not there. My version of WSJT-X is 2.5.4.  

Instead I had to download some special software to decode PI4. I have not yet checked if there is a map upload a bit like PSKreporter maps.

I was hoping to decode one of the Irish beacons, EI1KNH/B on 40.013 MHz PI4.

If PI4 is not supported by WSJT-X why is it used rather than FT8 or WSPR by beacons? I don't think it is magically better than FT8.

My other questions are (1) what mode do I select and (2) what dial frequency do I set to decode EI1KNH/B in PI4? At the moment it is set to 40.013 DIG on the FT817ND, but I have no idea if this is correct.

UPDATE 2057z:  It looks like EI1KNH/B now uses FT8 instead of PI4, so I am now monitoring FT8 instead. It sends FT8 every 10 minutes. See https://www.qrz.com/db/EI1KNH/.  I shall monitor overnight.

No comments: