16 Sept 2022

EI1KNH/B Irish 8m beacon on 40.013 MHz WSPR

Tim, the beacon keeper, has recommended I try 8m WSPR RX. 

The WSPR sessions are several times an hour and WSPR works with very weak signals. I am on 8m WSPR now, but a bit uncertain about the 2 minute cycles. This may only work with tropo and certainly not work with MS or aircraft.  I may try from now and over the weekend. 

The beacon is only active from 0600-2400, but I am not sure if this is local time or GMT. With tropo, I would have suspected my best chance would be early in the morning?

If this fails (I have low expectations) I may try MSK144 in an MS shower.

4 comments:

HC02 said...

The problem with WSPR is that the signal needs to be there for the entire 2 minutes, particularly right at the start of transmission or no decode takes place, fine for tropo etc but not MS.

Roger G3XBM said...

I am not too hopeful about WSPR, but it is worth a try. Tropo might just work. I totally get that this will NOT be good for MS or aircraft. 73s Roger G3XBM.

Keith said...

Read your comments and so turned my rig on this morning just after 8 o’clock.

Decoded the beacon on WSPR at 07:34 and 07:54utc, both at level -27dB.

I’ll leave the radio on for the rest of the day and see what happens.

Using FT-817ND and end-fed wire 20m long, about 2m above ground.

Regards,
Keith G0RQQ

Keith said...

Some more decodes of WSPR. I have now set up to report automatically to the WSPR Net site, and am going to leave the rig monitoring the beacon continuously for at least the next 24 hours.

Regards,
Keith