13 Jun 2022

Propagation mode?

Both yesterday and the day before, I had over 70 reports of my 500mW 10m WSPR beacon. Today I have had just a few reports and these could be by F2. Es can be very localised with strong signals somewhere and nothing a few kilometres away.

On 8m I am frequently spotted by EI9KP (649km). This happens so often that I suspect some other form of propagation other than F2 or Es is involved such as random meteors or aircraft scatter. 

The period of FT8 makes me think random meteors or aircraft unlikely. It is far too far to EI9KP for tropo. 

Am I missing something? 

1 comment:

ken g4apb said...

Hi Roger,
I have noticed on 8m FT8 that I see short periods of dx coming through lasting for a minute or so, then all signals fade away for some time. I hardly ever see local signals. I don’t see this on 6m or 10m, where signals seem to hold up for longer. I did wonder if this was just aircraft scatter? I am on a Flight path for London so often see high altitude planes going over.
This could also explain why, since getting my 8m licence, I have only had a single wspr spot despite being on daily.
73 Ken g4apb