29 May 2022

FT8 with the IC-705

A while ago I tried FT8 with the IC-705 using a USB cable from the PC. As the noise level was high, I stuck with the FT817ND and SignaLink instead. As I have now got a good screened and choked  USB cable, I shall try again later. 

UPDATE 0858z: Well it works on TX with a spot by G0FWX (160km), and I think it works on RX, although nobody spotted yet. At the moment it gives 5W without the ALC coming on. Assuming all is fine, I shall probably download WSJT-Z, which goes back onto CQ TX after a QSO. With WSJT-X it goes to RX after a QSO. 

UPDATE 1005z:  Working on both RX and TX. Initially I was seeing none of my RX spots on PSKreporter, but there are lots now as well as lots of TX spots. Best DX on TX is a spot of me by ZS6KVZ (9120km). No QSOs yet. I wonder how much better FT8 is than SSB? Having worked ZL with 10W SSB some years ago, I am pretty sure I can get DXCC on 10m FT8 if I tried. Not sure I really want to try. 10m FT8 at 5W seems too easy!

UPDATE 1802z: 
Spotted by 36 stations on 10m FT8 TX with 5W. Furthermost is DP0GVN (13687km) in Antarctica. Other reports from S.America, Middle East and China. 10m FT8 certainly works with the IC-705.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

Is this with the BD7 Maple USB cable.If so did you wind it on a FT140-43 aswel?

Glad you are able to upgrade from the 2.5w on digi modes from the FT-817. Atleast with the IC-705 you can vary the power alot more easier.

I know the IC-705 doesnt get that warm but with the screen on and TX duty cycles, I would like to see ICOM produce a empty battery cell case that has a quiet 5v/12v fan housed inside and powered from the battery pins on the back of the radio just to give some air flow.

I use the 705 as a shack radio alongside my IC-7300 and know many have this as there main shack. Think Icom thought most people who use it outdoors so heat wouldnt be a problem.

Jason
M0NYW

Roger G3XBM said...

Yes, it is. I clipped on a ferrite bead at the transceiver end and one on the antenna coax into the rig. I am not convinced these are needed, but it was a case of belt and braces. I ought to remove these to see what difference they make.