4 May 2022

8m experiment (Wednesday)

Once again, my intention is to stick with FT8 today on 40.680 MHz USB dial. So far, I have been copied in 4 European countries and expect this to increase during the Es season. 

The impression I am getting is that other than Es openings my QRP is not capable of being spotted at any distance. Also, I think there are fewer stations with TX permits this year. I was expecting more to be asking for these. Overall, I am a bit disappointed. Other than stations in the UK, Croatia, Slovenia and possibly Eire, I suspect the chances of exchanging FT8 reports are small. Once these countries are "worked", I suspect interest might wane.

If I am honest I was expecting stations across Europe to be active this Es season. Sadly, this is not the case. 

Personally I think a very small 8m, digital only, allocation to the amateur service would really help research in radio propagation science. I think OFCOM and the RSGB have been totally stupid over their attitude to this! You feel that they are not really interested in real self training and research. Talking about gardens and arthritic knees on 80m with Japanese commercial rigs is fine!!

UPDATE 0835z:  For about an hour I have been on 8m FT8 TX. I was spotted (yet again) by EI9KP (649km) in the west of Eire. Nobody spotted here, although I am currently RX only.

UPDATE 1320z:  No further 8m spots. Currently RX only again.

No comments: