3 May 2022

8m experiment (Tuesday)

 Yesterday was hopeless with no stations spotting me and no stations spotted. 

As May goes on, Es should get better and more common. With my QRP, I am not expecting great things, but most active 8m stations in Europe should be in range at some time. There are also a number of stations monitoring , if not able to TX.

At the moment (0828z) I am on 40.680 MHz USB dial FT8 TX.

My usual pattern is TX FT8 in the first period around 1950Hz audio for about 30 minutes, then go on just RX for about 30 minutes, then QRT whilst the rig cools, then repeat.

UPDATE 0926z:  No spots given or received yet. Currently RX only.

UPDATE 1030z:  Currently QRT as the rig cools. Back on FT8 TX (40.680 MHz USB dial) at 1100z. No spots still today.

UPDATE 1550z:  Back on 40.680 MHz USB dial FT8 TX. My earlier attempts on 8m FT8 TX and RX have been unsuccessful today. I hope I catch some Es at teatime. It often peaks around noon and teatime - no idea why.

UPDATE  1748z:   It looks like today will pass without any 8m spots. Currently RX only.

3 comments:

g4apb said...

Hi Roger, is there any particular reason you are on 40.680MHz FT8 when the US stations are down at 40.662 FT8 and Ireland is on 40.013MHz?
I keep having to swap around my receive frequencies depending on PSKreporter activity so I seem to miss a few opportunities to hear you.
73 Ken G4APB

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks for your comments Ken. 40.680 MHz USB dial is the most common FT8 frequency in Europe. I am on this frequency as this gives me the best chance of copying others and others copying me (copied in 4 countries so far most by Es).

Roger G3XBM said...

By the way I have spotted 2 stations in Eire on 40.680 FT8.