5 May 2022

8m experiment (Thursday)

At the moment (0830z), I am again on 8m FT8 TX on 40.680 MHz USB dial. When we go for a walk later I shall be RX only.  So far, no spots given or received.

UPDATE 1505z:  After just over a month, I am already drawing some conclusions as follows: 

(1) With my QRP and simple antenna I can work DX by Es, but I think TEP exchanges e.g. with South Africa are beyond me. I estimate my ERP could be 20dB down on some of the better stations. 

(2) There are far fewer stations active than I was expecting. Is no-one really interested?

(3) I suspect many of those active lose interest once they know their capability. It looks like I shall have FT8 exchanges with Slovenian stations, then what? 

UPDATE  1507z:  Today I have spotted nobody and nobody has spotted me on 8m FT8. At this rate, especially as OFCOM wants £50 every year, I can see few being interested in the UK. What a great pity.

UPDATE 1518z:  Looks like I shall go QRT on 8m TX after the Es season.

UPDATE 1607z: Now on 8m FT8 TX (first) on 40.680 USB dial.

No comments: