16 May 2022

8m experiment (Monday)

Although I expect to be on 8m FT8 TX on 40.680 MHz USB dial at times during the day I suspect my operations will soon be scaled back. 

I seem to have proved that all of continental Europe is within range, even with my very modest station, although my low ERP seems to preclude me being copied outside of the local area in the UK. 

UPDATE 1024z:  A few minutes ago, my 8m FT8 RX was turned on.

UPDATE 1226z:   No spots today. Currently rig is off cooling. Hope to be back on at 1300z.

2 comments:

g4apb said...

Hi Roger,
I would have thought that it would take a at least a whole year to assess propagation effects. I wonder if you could get something like a QPRLabs U3S WSPR Beacon Tx up on 40mhz with a few hundred mW running 24/7?
The last few days have been dire on 40MHz with me. My dedicated Rx and magloop antenna have spotted nothing for quite a while. I have to do a dummy load test transmission to myself to prove it is all still working.
73 Ken G4APB


Anonymous said...

Agreed Ken. As my building skills are now poor, making a dedicated 24/7 TX is out. As you read, after about 40 minutes, my rig loses power so I go QRT as it cools. During the Es season I am unlikely to learn much more, although by F2 later the USA may be possible.