11 Apr 2022

8m tests (Monday)

 After a brief period on 40.680 MHz USB dial FT8 TX (1 local spot), I am RX only on 8m FT8.  So far, nobody spotted today.

UPDATE 1022z:  Someone has just raised a very interesting question. In the ISM bands 40.66-40.70 MHz his calculations suggest 50uW can legally be used into 50 ohms. I think he calculated that anyone in the UK could legally go on 40 MHz TX without a licence as long as they are in the ISM band. On WSPR, it would not surprise me if 50uW could be detected in central Europe in a decent Es opening. Now, I am no legal expert and have not looked in to this, but if correct it means anyone could legally TX on the ISM band without a licence as long as the ERP was less than 50uW. This is worth checking out. I think you can make up your own callsigns to ID yourself in any reports. As I said, I am not a legal expert and you need to check carefully if this is correct.

This from the OFCOM document about ISM:

“industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) applications (of radio frequency energy): Operation of equipment or appliances designed to generate and use locally radio frequency energy for industrial, scientific, medical, domestic or similar purposes, excluding applications in the field of telecommunications.” 

Maybe the excluding applications in the field of telecommunications is the killer? Mind you, I cannot imagine OFCOM ever policing this!

UPDATE 1341z:  For 8m I just have a low wire dipole which is strung between the support for my 2m big-wheel and the end of my 10m end fed antenna. You may just be able to see it in the photo.


UPDATE 1436z:  About to go on 40.680 MHz USB dial FT8 TX.

UPDATE 2039z:  QRT now. S50B and G9PUV both copied earlier on 8m.  Doing a test on Tuesday from 0600z on 40.680 MHz MSK144 with G9PUV.

No comments: