31 Mar 2022

OFCOM statement about UK 8m permits

This statement by OFCOM about UK 8m operation has appeared in many places and the RSGB has made a statement. I have re-read the OFCOM statement many times as I have my licence.

Now, I am no legal expert and what follows is my interpretation, but....

I think the RSGB is wrong.

My reading and re-reading of the OFCOM statement and my amateur radio licence leads me to these conclusions:

1. OFCOM does not want to release any 8m spectrum for radio amateurs. Personally I think this is stupid when they could have released just 5 kHz, digital modes only, at 5W, no contests, by NoV, on a strictly non interference basis. Surely self training is what our hobby is all about?

2. As long as those operating on 8m hold an amateur radio licence and callsign and are receiving crossband reports from other radio amateurs using the frequencies only allowed in their licence schedule, I cannot see this is illegal. Yes, those working crossband to 8m non radio amateurs licenced under T and I conditions would be illegal.

3. Inter-working other stations duly authorised to operate on 8m is legal in the UK. Working those in other administrations is a matter for those administrations.

These are my personal views, not legally binding views. You need to seek your own legal position.

See http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2022/march/rsgb-statement-concerning-40mhz-in-the-uk.htm#.YkV-BIrMLrc

UPDATE 1512z:   I think OFCOM really wanted a "light touch" on this. As the RSGB sought clarification, they had to answer. The RSGB interprets this differently to me.

No comments: