12 Feb 2022

Optical experiments


In view of my earlier post, it is probably a good idea to point you to my pages on optical communications. I have not been able to do much in recent years because of my stroke, but there is nothing stopping others!

This is an area where the gear is easy, results can far exceed expectations and anyone can join in. As far as I know, no licence is needed.

All the gear uses low cost parts and can be assembled and tested in the back of the garage. Even test gear can be very simple and low cost. This really is great fun.

Some like to experiment with speech over very long distances. My "thing" was over the horizon. I was totally surprised that even when there was no sign at all of a signal, it could clearly be seen on a PC. The distance records for "over the horizon" are amazing. I think these used "cloud bounce", where signals are reflected off the base of clouds. In my case there were no clouds, so this was by refection off dust in the air I think.

See https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/optical-nanowaves/over-the-horizon .

No comments: