17 Feb 2022

Eddystone EC10 RX

We have moved on a lot.   Back in the 1960s, the Eddystone EC10 RX costing £48 was my dream machine. Many years later I managed to get a pre-production unit from someone at work whose dad worked for Eddystone. I remember the day he put it on my bench!

Mechanically, it was superb with its flywheel drive. On the lower bands it was just adequate. On the higher HF bands like 10m, it was terrible with its low IF and almost zero image rejection.

You used to be able to pick these up on Internet auction sites at inflated prices.  I have not looked recently.  They used germanium transistors (OC171s) that probably were leaky and wanted replacing. As an historic RX, you are welcome to bid, but as a serious 21st century RX? Forget it!

See https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/hf-mf-and-lf/commercial-rigs/eddystone-ec10.

UPDATE 2215z:  eBay still has people listing them.

No comments: