23 Jan 2022

8m and the ISM band?

The ISM band at 8m is 40.66 - 40.7MHz with an ERP limit of 10mW. Now, I am no expert and you need to convince yourself of the legal position, but I think anyone can operate at these frequencies as long as they accept interference and cause no interference.

These ISM frequencies are international allocations not really intended for radio communications. As I understand it, you can operate at these frequencies without a licence with any mode as long as you meet the ERP limits.

As far as I know, you could send callsigns. 10mW ERP is enough to span Europe in a good Es opening especially with FT8.

As I said, I do not know all the legal conditions and advise you to check carefully first. I know of one UK amateur that intends to TX with 10mW ERP CW as a beacon in the ISM band.

My NoV? Nothing at all received from OFCOM after 2 weeks of chasing apart from those computer generated replies saying they have received my query which is being replied to. But WHEN??? At this rate I shall be dead before I hear!

2 comments:

Rupert N2OTO said...

FINALLY!

BUT!

If they ask you to stop, and if you do not, then you are in trouble!

Grumpy old man, stop bitching that you did not yet get permission to tx on 8m.

You already have it.

I think the permit is only for very high power and that they know that you are active.

Throughout the world ISM bands are called the CITIZEN BAND (CB Radio)



You are a QRP KING!


I think we all just don't understand the minimum transmit output power on this band.

PS: When you transmit, you must properly identify yourself, a ham radio call sign is enough.

You don't have to be a HAM.

Otherwise you have to transmit your name and address or maybe just your telephone number.

Also: An experimental license is not a Ham Radio license, so think differently.

This may allow you to operate differently than you are use to.

This is really fun to explore!!!!

Anonymous said...

As I understand it, you can operate at these frequencies without a licence with any mode as long as you meet the ERP limits.

No... - All ISM means (As per ITU Regs) is that you may be subject to interference with no legal redress from Non-Radiocomms devices (like Microwave Ovens or Medical Scanners/Diathermy) - it is not in any way a free licence to transmit

The fact that many typically low-value radiocomms devices are either licensed or specifically licence-exempted at low powers (like WiFi or bluetooth) in ISM frequency ranges is quite a different matter - but they still have to be type approved to qualify for that licence exemption. Thats why you can fly a low power balloon Tx on 433Mhz.