24 Sept 2021

472kHz transverter fault

Years ago, finding a fault would have been easy. Now, even in small steps, it is exhausting and hard. 

I think the issue is that the oscillator has stopped for some reason: I can detect nothing at 3.2MHz on a nearby RX.  I shall look again at the weekend as now I am so so tired! Just a few minutes is so taxing now. 

This may be as simple as a dry joint. I guess the first thing to try is retouching all the solder joints in the oscillator. It is most likely to be this. I had a diode probe, but I have not seen it for years! I guess I should check the DC volts around the oscillator before doing this.

In the end, the aim is to TX again on 630m QRP. Before the fault arose my measured ERP was just under 10mW. This regularly was spotted on WSPR in Norway.

No comments: