29 May 2021

10GHz

 As I have mentioned in the past, some take 10GHz operation very seriously, with big dishes, high power and receivers with really low noise figures. Well equipped stations can operate moonbounce on 10GHz.

Others "play" at 10GHz, for example with low cost HB100 Doppler radar modules. With these low cost modules really no microwave engineering is needed. Some have covered 5km with WBFM with just these modules. Placed at the focus of a dish, over 100km has been covered on ATV with these modules. 

The modules contain 4 PCB antennas. 2 are for RX and 2 for RX.

They can even by bought on Amazon. They are even lower cost on eBay. Their main application is Doppler radar, but they have been repurposed. 

I think there are similar units for 24GHz. These 24GHz units are on sale on Amazon, but I have not looked for WBFM designs using these. Just imagine, a very low cost microwave station!

See https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/vhfuhfmicrowaves/homebrew/10ghz .



1 comment:

Jan, OZ9QV said...

I do have some HB100 modules. With a satellite TV LNB I re-tuned some to different frequencies int the high part of the 10GHz band, so they could be used as simple signal generators.
A satellite TV LNB is excellent for use as a receive converter, and with a simple modification I have used one as a (narrow band) monitor for two local beacons (26 and 36km away). The closest is behind some hills, so it is very weak, the other has part of the path over water, and while non-line-of-sight that one is always clear.
I have the LNB mounted - without a dish - just about 4m above ground. When rain is around I can hear rain scatter on both of them, and the signals can be stronger than the direct path. I call it my own rain radar.
I have ideas to use the HB100 for wideband experiments, but combined with a LNB (possibly with a small (35cm) dish) for reception, but I would like to get going with narrow band at some stage.
Vy 73 de Jan, OZ9QV