1 Apr 2021

IC-705 on the air

IC-705
Last night, I tried my IC-705 on the air for the first time.  I accessed the GB3PI repeater and went on the FM CDARC net on 2m. At first I did not know how to set up the CTCSS tone for the repeater. I have lots to learn. 

In the coming days I want to try FT8 and D-star. 

The RX seems to work well even on LF with good reception of DCF77 on 77.5kHz with the earth-electrode "antenna" in the ground.  It, so far, fits my operating well. I was surprised to get so many GPS satellites with the rig indoors in the usual operating position.

ICOM has done a great job.   

I have ordered the Radio Today guide to the IC-705 from the RSGB.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Roger.
Well done on getting your 705. Could you please tell me which firmwear version it came with ? This is relevant to its use with FT8 and the Icom ATU. I ask because as a Mac user I would not be in a position to download softwear from Icom. I believe the Firmwear version is shown in small figures at the bottom right hand corner of the screen when you switch on.
Thank you.
John - GW3OIN.

Anonymous said...

Hello Roger.
Well done on getting your 705. I wonder if you could please tell me which Firmwear version it came with ? This is relevant to its use with FT8 and the Icom ATU. I ask because as a Mac user I would not be in a position to download Icom softwear. I believe the Firmwear version is shown in small figures at the bottom right hand corner of the screen when you switch on. The critical version for me would be 1.20.
Thank you.
John - GW3OIN.

Roger G3XBM said...

Mine says 1.12 John. I shall update to the latest firmware when I find out how to!

Jan, OZ9QV said...

Hello Roger,
Congratulations with the IC-705. I think you will enjoy it very much. I do not have one, but I do have a IC-7300, and the two are much alike. A local friend of mine has a 705, and he is extremely happy with it.
Latest firmware is 1.20, as far as I know, so yours is quite old. I recommend an update. I have to make an update of my 7300, and the latest firmware of both the 7300 and the 705 has some very nice additions in the spectrum/waterfall display and some presets for modes like FT8.
73 de Jan, OZ9QV