3 Feb 2021

2m FT8 QRP (Wednesday)

It is now 1016z. A few moments ago I went on 2m FT8 with 2.5W and the big-wheel omni. At the moment I am about +14dB S/N on G0LRD's grabber. 

So far, 7 stations have spotted me with the furthermost being G7RAU (461km) on the Lizard. No QSOs yet. Nothing yet copied on RX. There are far more people monitoring than on TX. You are far more likely to be spotted than have a QSO. My technique is to call CQ and if anyone answers reply. I rarely hunt.

UPDATE 1055z:  6 stations (all G and GW) spotted on RX and 11 spots of my QRP TX. I am still puzzled by the propagation mechanism on these long paths: although this could be aircraft reflection (and some will indeed be), it seems to happen randomly, making this unlikely.

UPDATE 1348z:  18 spots of me on 2m FT8 QRP so far today.  I have to pinch myself to remind me that this is 2m VHF QRP with an ultra simple station. Every single day this is possible, not just in lifts.

UPDATE 1900z: 70 stations in 7 countries spotted. On TX 28 stations in 6 countries have spotted me. 1 QSO.

UPDATE 2235z: 167 stations spotted on 2m FT8 today. There was a contest on as were loads of stations! I counted 19 stations on at the same time in just 2kHz of band. As it was so crowded, I decided to stay RX only from 2000z. I have never seen the 2m FT8 slot so busy.

No comments: