2 Nov 2020

Should I wait?

Back in the 1970s when scientific calculators first appeared I waited and waited for the next version, that would be better, to appear. In the end I did not buy one! 

I feel a bit like this with the IC-705 from ICOM. It well matches my operating style and even without a trade-in I can probably get a decent deal. By the way, XBS Telecom in France is selling these with a 3 year warranty and VAT for 1344 euros! Yaesu are reported to be working on a line of SDR transceivers, but when?

See https://www.xbstelecom.eu/shop/en/pas-de-prix-reec-ni-reecclub/2004-icom-ic-705-hf50144430mhz-5w-10w.html?search_query=ic-705&results=28

5 comments:

Keith said...

The new Yaesu FT-DX10 is SDR-based.

Regards,
Keith G0RQQ

Anonymous said...

I would normally wait till others have found the bugs in a radios and let any updates happen. But going by ICOM’s current series of radios like the IC-7300,7610, 9700 I didn’t hear any bad reviews. I’m really impressed with my 7300 and I bought the 705 off the back of it and really happy I did.

Great radio and prefect for the QRPer.

Matt.

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

I'm really pleased with my IC-705. It does what I'm after and pretty well too!

Looking online I personally haven't come across any bad reviews as of yet. Regarding updates I can't see them doing anything like the IC-706 series. Yes it "sort of" missing 4M but that isn't a big issue unless your a 4M op.

Jason

Roger G3XBM said...

Yes I know but this is a 100W radio with no 2m or 70cm.

Todd Dugdale said...

Roger, obviously you haven't been informed of the latest revisions to The Script. When the IC-705 is mentioned, you are supposed to say "Life's too short for QRP!" and add a chortle.

This is how we 'discuss' things in the hobby now. Just parrot the group-think, and deny the existence of any group-think. Just ask any 'serious operator'. They all agree.