10 Jul 2020

Magnetic loops on HF TX

For the last few months I had been unable to get on 10m as my external antenna was down. In the end I rebuilt my loop antenna which I last used on 10m many years ago. This is just taped to a small table in the shack downstairs in our bungalow. I have no idea of the "gain" of this compared with a dipole or beam at a reasonable height.

Where lots of frequency changes are needed they are far from ideal as they are very sharply tuned if efficient. At 100W or more the voltages at the high impedance points can be very high, so special capacitors are needed. At 10W or less the voltages are nothing like as high. For modes like WSPR, FT8 or PSK31 they can be ideal as frequency movements are small.

I have been very pleasantly surprised how well my loop works. It cannot be more than 1 S point down on a dipole. If you are stuck, I can recommend them.

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/antennas/magloop

No comments: