23 Mar 2020

Back on 2m FT8

As 17m seems to be closing or closed for me, I have QSYed to 2m FT8 again with 10W and the big-wheel omni antenna.

After just a few minutes, 19 stations have spotted me including GI6ATZ (479km) and EI2OC (583km).  DX on 2m FT8 never fails.  Imagine if I had a big beam and 400W!!

This sort of range is always possible on 2m FT8 and I am convinced this is some sort of (non-aircraft) scatter.

UPDATE 1955z:  Now spotted by 27 stations in 6 countries.

UPDATE 2245z: Since the East Cambs net, I have been using the V2000 vertical antenna on 2m FT8. It seems to be making very little difference, sort of confirming some sort of scatter mode, but not aircraft.. At the moment the best DX spot on the vertical is by EI2OC (583km) with 23 stations spotting me on the vertical. Just now GI6AVZ (479km) was getting at about the same strength as on the big wheel.  Fascinating. Going QRT shortly.

2 comments:

John Allsopp said...

Hello Roger, just a line to say I have listed you on my blogsite, a reciprocal link would be appreciated.

vy 73 de John G4YDM https://johnallsopp.blogspot.com/p/home-page.html

Roger G3XBM said...

Done John. Thank you.