7 Mar 2020

2m FT8

A few moments ago I decided to go on 2m FT8. On RX just 1 spot so far, but 12 spots of my 10W in 2 countries. Still using the big-wheel omni antenna.

The impression I am getting is that FT8 is getting fewer people now than a year ago.

UPDATE  1710z:  Still just the 1 spot on 2m FT8 RX and 12 spots of my 10W FT8 TX. No QSOs.

UPDATE  1715z: I was wondering what effect the of the Fly-Be (a mainly inter UK airline) collapse has had on aircraft scatter?  I think not much as I am still being widely spotted. I suspect there are just fewer active TX stations.

UPDATE 1801z:  Just one QSO with F5APQ (180km). Possibly stations are getting picky: if they have worked them before why bother? 17 spots of my 10W so far today. Best DX is yet again Cornwall G7RAU (461km), but another good report from GD3YEO (384km).

UPDATE 2011z: 21 stations spotted me this evening, but 3 QSOs in 3 countries. Only 6 stations spotted here this evening.

Stations spotting my
10W 2m FT8 TX today
UPDATE 2240z: 22 stations spotting me with 4 QSOs today. Soon it will be time to go QRT. Funny how 2m FT8 looks so different from 2m SSB with the same power. I seem to be able to be spotted and worked at ranges twice that of SSB at any time. If some QSOs are aircraft scatter, there must be lots of aircraft at lots of times. I am wondering if these long paths are some sort of scatter mode in which polarisation is less important and in which aircraft are not involved? As these paths seem to work at any time, I cannot believe the aircraft scatter theory.

No comments: