6 Feb 2020

Return to 472kHz WSPR TX (10mW ERP)

After an absence of several weeks, I have returned to 472kHz WSPR TX. My measured ERP is less than 10mW from the earth-electrode "antenna" in the ground.  The output of the transverter is about 12W into 50 ohms, but the "antenna" is pretty inefficient, although better than expected.

Even in daylight I was quite surprised to see 3 unique stations spotting me with best DX spots by G0MRF (139km).

All being well, I hope to stay on overnight.

UPDATE 1206z: So far today, 4 different stations have spotted my 10mW ERP 472kHz WSPR signal.
UPDATE 1835z: 17 stations have spotted my 10mW ERP so far (see table below).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back on 630m Roger.

Quite amazed to see you signal during the daytime. I’m also transmitting but not been spotted by yourself as of yet.

If you get a chance at some point this evening try JT9. It getting more popular and I was able to have two QSO on this mode best DX Germany.

73
Jason
M1PRO

Roger G3XBM said...

Thank you for your WSPR spots Jason. As my SPLIT mode is not working correctly I seem to see strong stations (goodness knows why I spot ANY!) unless I intentionally listen on 472kHz.

JT9 - at the old QTH I had a couple of 472kHz JT9 QSOs (UK and Belgium) but I have not tried at this QTH. What do I set my dial to? As the RX side is not working properly I do not think JT9 will work between us at the moment.

M1PRO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M1PRO said...

Hi Roger,

I've posted on my blog how I get my Yaesu FT-817 into split mode see if that helps. Also included how I tried JT9 on this post too.