18 Feb 2020

Making WSJT-X screengrabs public

As mentioned yesterday, David G0LRD has a very useful feature on his QRZ.com page. If you go to the link provided you can see what 2m FT8 looks like at his QTH. I have already used this to see if my signal is OK. At the moment, I am not sure how he does this, but it looks a good feature.

Now, in the past I used Spectrum Lab to create a VLF grabber. I need to find out the best way for me, as I am definitely not a software expert!

If I can save the WSJT-X page image to Dropbox and make this public I think I can do it. I'll investigate. If not, I shall have to ask David! It would be good to be able to do this for any mode and any band that I am on.

HELP!!! Can someone please tell me how to automatically save screenshots or active windows panels to Dropbox?  I know how to do this with "prt sc" but want to do this automatically. Basically I need to do this regularly, without manual intervention, whenever WSJT-X is on.

4 comments:

KF4DJQ said...

Use the builtin snipping tool included with all versions of windows from windows 7,
files can be saved in .png or .jpg
KF4DJQ

KF4DJQ said...

Roger, after a quick search there are two tools I have found that will automatically take screen shots, "Automatic Screenshotter" and "Autoscreencap". I think these are "donation ware". Hope this helps

David (G0LRD) said...

Hi Roger
My grabber that you mentioned is based around a Raspberry Pi and FT817ND, so is very low power and doesn't need a PC running full time. WSJT-X runs on the Pi, and a CRON script (a standard Linux utility to trigger scripts at regular intervals) captures the screen shot every 60s with a Linux command line utility called 'scrot'. The resulting image file is then copied to my web-server (running on another Raspberry Pi).
73 David G0LRD

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks David. You make it sound easy. ;-)