31 Aug 2019

Icom's IC-705

Image on the ICOMuk link shown
Great! ICOM has just announced a new multi-band QRP transceiver at the Tokyo Ham Fair. It should be available March 2020 and for less than $1000.  I hope they sell this world-wide as it exactly fits my needs.

See https://icomuk.co.uk/Icom-IC-705-and-IC-PW2-Prototypes-Shown-at-Tokyo-Hamfair-2019/2/1982/

See also https://dx-world.net/new-icom-ic705/

See also https://qrpblog.com/2019/08/icom-ic-705-hf-vhf-uhf-portable-transceiver-announced

See also https://icomuk.co.uk/files/icom/PDF/newsFile/IC-705_Tokyo_Hamfair.pdf

The last but one link has lots of photos. It looks to me like a great addition to the range and a bit like a 2020 IC703, but based on SDR technology!

Fred tells me 4m will be available on European versions - even better!

My thanks again to Steve G1KQH and Fred G4BWP for spotting this.

4 comments:

Todd Dugdale said...

This could end up being a great rig for satcom use if it's compatible with current CAT software.
- KD0TLS

G1KQH said...

All we need now is the £ to improve against the Dollar..

I won't get over excited just yet :-(


73 Steve

Anonymous said...

Only one BNC connector for 160m thru 70cm? I get the impression that the battery is quite limited in duration, so an external battery will be needed for SOTA for example. That said it is a welcome development that should suit many.

Barry said...

I think it's a great full featured radio. BUT.....no on board ATU is a deal breaker for me, and I only use resonant antennas. But there are times I do need the ATU.
Look at some of the YouTube videos where hams set up portable. Take note to how many use non resonant antennas. So now you also have to carry along an external ATU.

I also find the 2000 ma on board battery questionable. The IC7300, with its display, draws 800 ma. So, if the 705, using pretty much the same display, draws 800 ma, that will give you about 2 hours and 15 minutes of receive time. Now add making a few Q's.
Your battery will be dead in no time.
With those two drawbacks aside, I still think it's a great little radio. I wish Icom well on their sales.
Barry, KU3X