4 Jul 2019

2m FT8

At the moment I am still using my Signalink USB with my FT991A and the big-wheel omni. As far as I can tell, the interface to the rig is the same as for the FT817 via USB.  If I can work out the drivers, the rig can be CAT controlled and audio interfaced directly from the PC over USB.

A recent 2m FT8 CQ got 17 spots including 2 from Cornwall. FT8 works! I was also copied in Germany earlier on 2m.

UPDATE 1357z: As well as working a station in N.Wales on 2m FT8, I have spotted so many stations on 2m FT8 RX with the big-wheel omni antenna. The map shows where my 2m FT8 signal has reached so far today on TX.

UPDATE 1900z: Amazing! OK I am running 50W at the moment but I have worked (i.e. 2-way)  DL6YBF (471km) and received 31 spots on 2m with just the big-wheel omni antenna. 2m behaves so differently with FT8. Stations I could never ever imagine working are possible. And this is probably flat conditions!

2m FT8 spots of my 
transmission today
UPDATE 1955z: I have never before been received in Eire from this QTH on VHF, but EI2GLB (499km), along with many others, is spotting me. 60 reports so far today on 2m FT8 TX.

No comments: