4 May 2019

Oscar 100 - still bags of space

This geosynchronous satellite has been operational for nearly 2 months. Using the Goonhilly SDR, I took another look at the narrowband transponder a few minutes ago. I know it takes time assemble suitable microwave gear, but I am still surprised by the low level of activity.

It is the weekend when I might have expected more activity, yet I only counted 8 stations at one time. An EA8 was calling CQ and getting no takers! A round trip of nearly 45000 miles is needed for the up and downlinks, but dishes are fixed and DX from South America to Thailand is available at any time without QSB, I remain surprised it is not really busy. Just a few watts seem to be enough.

TM1MOON (IN78) seems to be working quite a few stations from Brittany with 5W and a 70cm diameter dish.

No comments: