5 Mar 2019

Electric cars - NOT amateur radio

Like flat screen TVs and digital cameras, I think there will be a sudden "tipping point" when we wonder with amazement at internal combustion powered cars running on petrol or diesel.

Assuming we can achieve genuine ranges of 300 miles or more between charges, then this will remove the charging anxiety that currently goes with electric cars, unless all your driving is on local trips to the shops.

We are not there yet. I do not know how far off this point is. It could be 5 years or 25 years. I guess it depends on battery research and price. I hope it comes in my lifetime.

I know some national radio societies are concerned that induction power transfer could be a source of radio noise pollution. I suspect home charging will help reduce this.

No comments: