25 Feb 2019

Already bored?

Although Oscar 100, the geosynchronous satellite, has been operational for a few weeks now, the narrowband transponder still seems quite quiet. A few moments ago there were just 2 QSOs on SSB, whereas I was expecting the band to be quite full.

As I mentioned yesterday, it may take a few weeks or months before people "trust it". Even so, I was expecting more activity than we are seeing so far. As yet, I have seen activity from Brazil and Qatar, but not India or further east. Most stations are from Europe.

2 comments:

David (G0LRD) said...

Hi Roger
There is a Chinese amateur active on QO-100, and much of the activity is not SSB. I've received analogue SSTV, digital SSTV, Feld Hell and JT65C in the last two evenings. Some is tranmitting Opera mode with a few mW also now.
I think you're just missing much of the activity.
73 David G0LRD

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks David.

I have to admit I only "breeze in and out", so my results are hardly scientific! Certainly when I have listened the level of activity is below what I would have expected. Sounds like you have copied far more than I have, HI.