15 Oct 2018

Antenna choices

Homebase-10 Antenna
When the leaves fall, I want to prune my silver birch tree, which is now far too tall. At the moment my Par end-fed covering 10m, 20m and 40m is held up by this tree. At present, I am considering options.

My main HF interest is 10m and one possibility is a rebuild of my Homebase-10 wire halo for 10m.  Via an ATU, the coax to this antenna should match on most HF bands tuned against ground.

Another possibility is my x80 vertical which is in good condition in the garage. This has a 9:1 unun in its base, so a decent match is presented to the rig on most HF bands. Verticals tend to be noisier than horizontals and the x80 can snap in winds.

I could re-erect my Par end-fed.  This is very low, especially for 20m and 40m.

At the moment, the favourite is the Homebase-10.

2 comments:

G1KQH said...

I thought you lived in a bungalow these days not a house?

73 Steve

Roger G3XBM said...

Yes, we live in a bungalow these days. The antenna would be above the shack roof. The photo was at the old QTH.