10 May 2018

My dad's house - NOT amateur radio

Salcombe Devon Home
100 years ago, my dad lived here. At that time these houses were small, dirty and with an outside shared toilet. Nowadays they are posh holiday lets.

In 1959 my mum and dad sold our house in Salcombe for £1.9k. It now is for sale for £625k!! No doubt the buyer will be a yuppy banker who will use it for a few weeks a year. Salcombe these days is a very up-market town.

Back then - in fact when I was young - it was a thriving all year around community.  These days the wintertime population is a fraction of that in the summer. The main street is almost exclusively posh clothes shops catering for the rich yachters. Already the only bank has closed. To me, it is a society that cannot survive unless it evolves again into a 365/7 community again.

No comments: