25 May 2018

FT8 versus JT65

In the last few months the usage of FT8 is phenomenal. It uses about a third the bandwidth (about 50Hz) of JT65 and a much shorter TX period. In many ways it is an ideal QRP mode, especially in Es conditions.

I think FT8 is not as good as JT65 in terms of very weak signals, but I am no expert. So far, I have not spotted what I would call real DX on 6m, whereas last season I copied lots on 6m JT65. Now, this may be just conditions, so I need a few more months to decide.

It would be interesting to know how serious DXers find FT8. I only use a V2000 vertical, so others probably do better than me. As you know I'm a fair weather DXer. I do not chase DX, but I observe 6m FT8 most days.

FT8 is not a mode for chats. Without auto-sequencing enabled there is very little reaction time. It is a good mode for quick, formulaic exchanges.

See http://www.dx.nl/?p=860
This seems to show FT8 is some 6dB worse than JT65 on weak signals. Maybe this accounts for why I am spotting less real DX? Now, since then FT8 has been improved. Certainly, I shall stick with 6m FT8 this season to see what is spotted.

2 comments:

Todd Dugdale said...

Roger,
a bit off-topic, but have you considered the potential of the new HF satellite?
https://www.amsat.org/camsat-sep-2018/
15M in and 10M out, coming in September.

Roger G3XBM said...

No Todd, this is news to me. My only ever satellite QSO was (I think) 2m up and 10m downlink. That must have been 20-30 years ago!