17 Apr 2018

The Liner-2

This was the very first 2m SSB rig available in Europe and it revolutionised 2m.

I first got mine second-hand in the mid-1970s and was amazed how far one could work on 10W of SSB, especially as before I'd only used a few watts of FM or AM. Stations that I could never imagine hearing, let alone working, suddenly were within my grasp, even with just a dipole or HB9CV antenna. This was the experience of many in those exciting early days of SSB in Europe when activity was around 145.41MHz.

The Liner-2 had plenty of faults! It was basically a modified 10m rig and produced lots of spurii, especially if the power was pushed up. Many used it with a 9 element Tonna antenna and a 30W linear. Having said all that, I was able to work some amazing DX with a simple, indoor antenna and the Liner-2 barefoot.

There was also a 70cm version produced by Belcom, although I never owned one or even saw one.

In its day, it was a trailblazer. We have come a very long way since then.

No comments: